Regardless of the cause, sinus problems are just plain annoying and often painful. When the air-filled chambers around your nose and cheekbones, on both sides of the forehead, between nasal passages and eye sockets get infected or obstructed, it’s a distraction you just can’t ignore. The pain and swelling can become chronic unless you take measures to reverse the problem.
While over-the-counter medications may deliver quick relief, it’s usually temporary. In fact, these quick-fixes can even drive infection deeper and only worsen the condition. Medicating this way can become a vicious circle. Why mask the problem when you can take natural measures to actually heal and feel well? Whether your sinus problems come from a viral or bacterial infection, allergies, eating too much dairy, poor circulation, slow digestion or constipation, lack of exercise, or toxins in the air, herbs can deliver serious relief.
Herbs for Sinus Relief
There is an array of herbs that can help you get real relief from sinus congestion. You can enjoy the benefits of any of these herbs in tea form, in capsules, or in liquid concentrates you can find at your local health food store. Some grocery stores even carry the teas.
- Mullein – Great for respiratory disorders and known for its antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties
- Chamomile – Boosts immunity and helps resolve inflammation
- Comfrey – Can help relieve pain and tenderness
- Marshmallow – Supports, soothes, and moistens mucous membranes in the respiratory tract
- Ginger – Contains115 different chemical components in the root and acts as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory
- Eyebright – Has anti-inflammatory and astringent benefits
- Fenugreek – Can fight fever and inflammation
- Thyme – Brings relief for cough and irritation from post-nasal drip
- Echinacea – Can deliver an overall boost to your immune system
- Calendula – Can reduce pain and inflammation
- Ginseng – Promotes overall vigor and fights inflammation
- Astragalus – Overall immune booster, often combined with Echinacea in herbal formulas
Horseradish Packs a Punch for Sinus Problems
One herb in particular is especially powerful for helping to drain sinus congestion. You might know of Horseradish as an addition to flavorful sauces and as a spice in foods. But it is also a powerful and pungent herb that has been used for centuries for an array of health issues. It can give a huge boost to your respiratory health and overall immunity. If you feel sinus congestion coming on, simply grate a couple of teaspoons of fresh horseradish root and take it by mouth. And it’s okay to wash it down with water. You’ll feel your sinuses begin to drain within just a few minutes. If this direct approach is too much heat and flavor for you can also boil it in water to make a tea. Feel free to sweeten it with honey. You can use Horseradish in either form several times a day.
Whichever of these herbs you use by themselves or in any combination can offer some real hope for sinus relief. Of course, always consult your doctor if your sinus problems persist or if you have questions.