Seasonal allergies are bad enough, but what if you had to deal with them every day? The pain, stuffiness, pressure, post-nasal drip, and headache of chronic sinusitis affect about 38 million people in this country at any given time. If you are one of them, you know how the struggle takes a toll on your quality of life. Fortunately, there are some changes you can make in your daily routine to get some lasting relief…and it’s easier than you might think.
But wait; it gets better! These simple things can not only reduce the symptoms of chronic sinus problems, but can also increase your energy, boost your immune system, and even give your skin a healthy glow. All you have to do is eat foods that fight inflammation.
Fighting Inflammation is Easy
Don’t worry. You probably don’t have to do a major lifestyle overhaul. These foods are easy to find and tastier than you might expect. And they come with a bonus. They decrease inflammation AND boost your immunity to the bacteria than can cause sinus inflammation to escalate to an actual sinus infection. So, adding these foods and/or eating more of them will help you feel better, all around.
Foods for Reducing Inflammation
You may already include some of these foods in your diet. Increasing your intake can help you get some sinus relief AND improve your overall health.
- FRUITS – Tart cherries, berries, apples, and pears are especially effective. Cherries, in particular, are 10 times more powerful than aspirin in reducing inflammation. It’s easy to forget that avocados are fruit, but they are, and they work, too.
- SPICES – Ginger, basil, and cayenne pepper all have powerful anti-inflammatory qualities. For a super powered blast, though, try Turmeric. You can buy packets of it at your health food store to add to food, beverages, smoothies, etc., or buy a regular bottle of it and use it one teaspoon at a time.
- HEALTHY FATS – Omega 3 fatty acids are essential to your health in many ways, and that includes in their anti-inflammatory properties. You can get them in wild-caught salmon (avoid farmed), cod, sardines, and hemp seed oil.
- VEGETABLES – Tomatoes, broccoli, asparagus, bean sprouts, and leafy greens (the darker the better) will definitely step up your immunity and step down inflammation. Get lots of them every day.
- PROTEIN – Protein from fish, beans, eggs, and nuts are easier to digest than some other sources. These foods don’t cause mucous but do provide good nutrition.
- GREEN TEA – Green tea has long been used as an overall health tonic. Try a cup instead of brewing your morning coffee and enjoy the benefits all day long.
Benefits of an Overall Healthy Diet
You may have heard of the Mediterranean Diet. Essentially, this is a way of eating that incorporates foods high in antioxidants and omega 3 fats. Mediterranean countries like Greece and Portugal tend to eat a high percentage of these foods and suffer fewer allergic conditions than Americans do, overall.
The moral of the story: eat well and live well. Of course, there’s no magic solution or cure-all for optimal health and clear sinuses. But eating foods that fight inflammation can go a long way to avoiding chronic sinusitis and fighting sinus flare-ups, whether due to colds or allergies.
So, enjoy the foods on this list and help reduce inflammation in your sinuses and your body, as a whole. Give yourself every edge for a pain-free, energetic lifestyle.